Compensation For Surgical Errors
Medical negligence can happen during any encounter with a healthcare professional who is providing advice or care. But when that negligence occurs during surgery, the result can be devastating and, in some cases, fatal.
The Columbus, Ohio medical malpractice lawyers at Abramson & O’Connell, LLC have been entrusted to represent numerous victims of surgical malpractice. If your family needs help with a potential surgical malpractice case, please contact our experienced attorneys as soon as possible.
What Is Surgical Malpractice?
Surgical malpractice occurs when a surgeon fails to meet the standard of care and that failure results in a patient’s injury. Surgical medical malpractice covers both elective and non-elective surgeries. We have handled numerous types of surgical medical malpractice cases including:
- Oxygen deprivation causing traumatic birth injury
- Delay in making the decision to operate in an emergency (often the case with a delayed C-section birth injury)
- Sliced or punctured organ
- Surgical tools and sponges left inside an incision area
- Failure to act quickly and appropriately to complications
- Mistaken removal of non-cancerous organs
Technology and Surgical Malpractice
Advances in technology have revolutionized many types of surgery. But when new procedures are not done carefully, the consequences can be devastating for a patient. Such cases include:
- Endoscopic sinus surgeries
- Laparoscopic gallbladder surgeries
- LASIK eye surgeries
- Laparoscopic hysterectomies
- Interventional cardiology
Surgical malpractice occurs not only when surgeons make an error during surgery, but also when they perform unnecessary operations. Patients should not be exposed to the risks of surgery if their medical conditions do not require it. We know the injustice that occurs when a person suffers a life-altering injury because of a surgery that should never have been performed.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of surgical malpractice, call us at 614-461-6066 for a free consultation or send us an email inquiry.